Today Linden Lab opened up the applications for their new virtual world; Project Sansar.
Besides the occasional image and a tiny video, still very little is known about PS but I think that many Second Life users are very keen to go and have a look.
I quote from the press release;
SAN FRANCISCO – April 26, 2016 – Linden Lab®, the creators of Second Life®, today announced that applications have opened for an upcoming “Creator Preview” for Project SansarTM, the new platform for user-created social VR experiences. Interested 3D content creators can now apply at ProjectSansar.com and accepted applicants will begin to receive invitations later this summer.
Slated for general availability at the end of 2016, Project Sansar will democratize virtual reality as a creative medium. It will empower people to easily create, share, and ultimately monetize their own interactive social experiences that can be enjoyed in VR with head-mounted displays like the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, as well as via PCs and, later, mobile devices. The platform enables professional-level quality and performance with exceptional visual fidelity, 3D audio, and physics simulation, while also solving the complex engineering challenges that have previously limited creating and publishing social VR experiences to just sophisticated professionals.
“Creating social VR experiences is too hard and expensive today, and that limits the value and growth of this incredible new medium,” said Ebbe Altberg, Linden Lab CEO. “Creating your own VR experience shouldn’t require an engineering team, and Project Sansar will make that possible. Over the past few months, a small number of creators have already made an impressive variety of awesome social VR experiences with Project Sansar, from virtual versions of real-world locations to fantasy worlds and stylized game-like environments, and more. We’ll soon be ready for many more creators to join Project Sansar, and we can’t wait to see what people will create.”
I myself am cautiously excited about PS and really want to get inside and see what my options are, will I be able to recreate 1920s Berlin there or get started on 1940s London or will PS just not be suitable and will I have to stay behind in Second Life?
Only one way to find out!
So I signed up right away and hope to be let in when they open the backdoor.
The website where you sign up looks very smooth, that Project Sansar logo looks very professional.
The name has been trademarked, someone has spend time designing the logo, there is a website… almost as if they are sticking with that name…
Are you going to sign up and if so, what are you planning on trying in PS?
I lost 90% of my interest, when they said that a Linux version would not be available and the other 10% when we learned that a VR headset would cost as much as a new computer. VR should not be an exclusive toy for a few rich Windows users. The future is platform independend and webbased, something that works on every machine, without the need to install proprietary software or Addons. High Fidelity is open source and available on all platforms. They give away the software for free to eventually make money with providing services like currently or marketplace. Sansar vs. HiFi sounds like AOL vs. Internet.
Jo Yardley said:
You won’t need a headset for Sansar and new headsets will not cost as much as a new computer but you may need to buy a new computer for it to work properly.
Pingback: Second Life News 2016 Week 17 | Nalates' Things & StuffNalates’ Things & Stuff
Can’t wait to try it out! High hopes for Sansar! 🙂
Pingback: Linden Lab begins inviting creators to Project Sansar this week! | Jo Yardley's Second Life